Massey-Henderson Local Board Member, Auckland Council
Back in Hong Kong Peter was a successful businessman. However, since settling in New Zealand, he has been working hard to engage himself in community activities. He is former Waitakere City Councillor and the inaugural City Cultural Ambassador. Peter and Audrey (QSM) live in Te Atatu Peninsula and have three adult children.
Peter has taken a huge interest in community related work and has extensively been involved in community issues for the last sixteen years and Founder of the Waitakere Ethnic Board and the Moon Festival. He strongly advocates for the West and for greater power to be vested in its Local Boards. Peter is working towards transparency and sustainability in the Auckland Council’s operations. He is committed to seeing the Council being more responsive to the core needs of its local community. Peter believes that local authorities exist for the convenience of its residents and accordingly rates must be adjusted to an affordable level. Recently Peter has also been working towards reducing Auckland’s traffic congestion.
Achievements and Community Involvement:
- B.A. (Hons), Cert. in Ed. (University of Hong Kong), M.A. (Hons) (Auckland University);
- Justice of the Peace (since 2001);
- Founder of Auckland Chinese Environment Protection Association
- Member of the New Zealand-Chinese Business Association and New Zealand-Hong Kong Business Association;
- Fundraising Chairman of Cantonese Opera Society of New Zealand (since 2000)
- Advisor to Pacific Advisory Board (2004-2010) and Waitakere Ethnic Board (2002-2010)
- Massey Community Board Member (2001-2004)
- Waitakere City Councillor (2007-2010)
- Council’s representative to West Auckland Pacific Forum
- Local Board representative to Economic Development Forum, Auckland Council
- President of Auckland Asian Association 2014